My mother always makes fresh guacamole for parties, and it’s a relatively inexpensive and hearty appetizer that’s always appreciated more than just plain chips and dip. Why buy the pre-made stuff in a jar when you can mix up your own that’s fresher, prettier and so much tastier. And talk about easy – five ingredients plus a dash of salt, and you’ve got beautiful flavor and color to add to your party buffet
Here are some quick tips for Mom’s Guacamole:
* Fresh lime juice perfectly complements the avocado and keeps it from turning brown. So squeeze the lime juice on the avocadoes immediately after scooping them into the bowl.
* Guacamole is best when freshly made. But if you have to make it ahead of time, squeeze more lime juice over the top of the dip and press plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent browning. Store in fridge till ready to serve.
* If you like your guacamole thick and chunky, mash ingredients together with a heavy spoon or ice cream scooper. If you like it smoother, puree the avocado in a food processor before transferring to a mixing bowl.
* Want more of a kick? Use a spicy salsa and add a few drops of hot sauce.
* Serve in a pretty temp-tations® bowl.
Pair Mom’s Guacamole with tortilla chips, pita chips and fresh veggies and watch it disappear!