Chocolate Bread Pudding
What could be better than bread pudding? How about chocolate bread pudding?! This dessert contains cinnamon and allspice, a combination of aromatic and sweet spices that's a favorite in Mexico. This recipe is great for using any leftover or reduced (day-old) bread.
- non-stick cooking spray
- 8 ounces Italian bread, sliced
- 2 cups light cream or evaporated milk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Spray a 2 quart temp-tations® baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Remove crusts from sliced bread and discard. Cut bread into small cubes, about 12 per slice. Place cubes in greased baking dish as you go.
- In a sauce pot over medium-high, heat cream, stirring constantly, until simmering. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips, stirring until chocolate has completely melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and brown sugar until well mixed. Stir in the butter, cinnamon and allspice, and then slowly add the hot chocolate mixture, whisking until all is combined.
- Pour combined chocolate mixture over the cubed bread in the baking dish. Stir to saturate all bread. Cover and let rest for one hour at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake 35 - 40 minutes, or until the center is firm and a toothpick inserted into it comes out mostly clean. Cut into 9 squares and serve warm.