Pesto Broccoli Pasta Bake
This Pesto Broccoli Pasta Bake is everything we all love about a warm, comforting casserole, but with healthy herbs, veggies and smart substitutions we can feel good about.
- 1 cup tightly packed basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne, cooked
- 6 ounces chicken sausage, broken up or chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, cooked broccoli
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine basil, garlic and pine nuts and pulse to chop fine. Add the oil in a stream, pulsing to combine. Stir in the cheese, lemon juice and salt and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausage. If using cooked sausage, heat until just browned, and if using raw chicken sausage, cook until no longer pink. Add the broccoli and cook for 1 minute more. In a large temp-tations® mixing bowl, combine the pasta, pesto and chicken sausage mixture. Transfer the pasta mixture to a 2-quart temp-tations® baker. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top, and cover with foil. Bake 25 minutes, uncover, and bake 5 minutes more.