Sloppy Joe Casserole
How often are you encouraged and even expected to be messy with your food?! Try this make-ahead, freezer-friendly Sloppy Joe Casserole – a childhood favorite, with a delicious twist. - Tara
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (29-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 hamburger buns, with a few extra buns put aside
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Coarse salt
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the pepper, onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon until cooked through and crumbled, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a 4-quart temp-tations® baker. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, Worcestershire, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Meanwhile, separate the bun tops and bottoms, place on temp-tations Lid-it® or cookie sheet and toast buns in oven until crisp, about 8 minutes per side.
- Remove from oven and place the buns on top of the meat mixture in baker. Brush each bun with butter and sprinkle generously with coarse salt.
- Bake casserole uncovered for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve immediately with sliced avocado if desired, letting everyone build their own sandwich.