Southern Honey Cornbread
Buttermilk makes this homemade Southern cornbread tender and fluffy. Fair warning: in the South they like their cornbread sweet! Even just a little bit of honey adds plenty of honey flavor, while also keeping the bread extra moist.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups yellow or white cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 3.5 quart temp-tations® baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, honey, eggs, butter, and buttermilk, mixing just until combined.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. While stirring, add the cornmeal mixture to the egg mixture, mixing only enough to combine. (The mixture will be a little lumpy.)
- Pour into the greased baking dish and bake 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cut into 12 squares to serve.