Southern Vidalia Onion Potato Salad
This is my favorite potato salad and a great side dish, but an even better part of any party buffet. I particularly appreciate that the ingredients are always in my pantry. Personally, I like to assemble this salad fast, after boiling the potatoes - so that their heat transfers to the other ingredients when served warm. But of course, it's great chilled as well! - Tara
- 3 pounds gold potatoes, peeled if desired, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup diced Vidalia onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup diced pimento
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook cut potatoes until tender but firm, about 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to a 2.5-quart or larger temp-tations® mixing bowl, or an oval or round baking dish.
- Cover potatoes with remaining ingredients, except salt and paprika. Toss gently until all are combined.
- Salt to taste and sprinkle with paprika before serving warm. If serving cold: after boiling potatoes, rinse under cold running water and continue recipe as written. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.