Tara’s Mom’s Overnight French Toast
This is my Mom’s Overnight French Toast casserole, and it’s a family tradition. It's the kind of recipe we both love because it lets you prepare ahead of time and not deal with the last minute rush. On top of that, it's delicious! - Tara
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Karo syrup or maple syrup
- 1 large loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 10 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Melt butter, brown sugar, and Karo syrup in saucepan over medium heat, stirring until smooth. Bring to a boil. Pour caramelized mixture into a 4-quart temp-tations® baker. Sprinkle dried cranberries and chopped walnuts onto caramelized mixture, if desired. Arrange French bread slices on top.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Pour over French bread slices. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover baker and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove baker from refrigerator, uncover and bring to room temperature. Or, remove baker from refrigerator, uncover and place in cold oven. Turn oven on and allow baker and oven to pre-heat together, to 350 degrees.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, until puffed and golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes. If desired, sprinkle additional dried cranberries and chopped walnuts on top, for garnish. Slice and serve.