Turkey Taco Casserole
Taco Night doesn’t have to be a guilty pleasure with this awesome Turkey Taco Casserole, and you and your family can enjoy this lightened up, gluten-free favorite as part of a healthy diet.
- 20.8 ounces lean ground turkey breast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/3 cups mild salsa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 12 hard corn taco shells
- ½ cup low fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Avocado, chopped, optional
- Green onions, chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook turkey, breaking up into small pieces. After 2 minutes, add the onion and garlic. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink and the onions are softening, about 8 minutes. Add the beans, salsa and ¼ teaspoon salt and simmer for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small temp-tations® bowl, combine the yogurt, lime juice, zest and remaining salt. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Arrange taco shells in a 4-quart temp-tations® baker. Bake shells for 5 minutes and remove from oven. Carefully fill each shell with a heaping ¼ cup of filling. Sprinkle tacos with cheese and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top tacos with lettuce, tomatoes and drizzle with the reserved yogurt sauce. Top with chopped avocado and green onions if desired.