Ultimate Caramel Chocolate Popcorn
- 18 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1 can (15 ounces) mixed nuts
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and/or white baking chips
- 3 teaspoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place popcorn and nuts in a greased roasting pan; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Quickly pour over the popcorn and mix well.
- Transfer to two greased 15 x 10 x 1-in. baking pans. Bake 1 hour or until dry, stirring every 15 minutes. In a microwave, melt each chocolate separately, adding 1 teaspoon of shortening to each 1/2 cup of chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over popcorn mixture; let stand until set.
- Break into clusters. Store in an airtight container. For gift giving, place mix in assorted temp-tations® serving bowls.
This recipe is from my Taste of Home: temp-tations Holiday Cookbook!