Brodie’s Stuffed Devil’s Food Cupcakes
This one is a family classic. The rich chocolate pairs perfectly with the sweet cream cheese filling. These cupcakes are phenomenal! - Tara
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package regular cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line the muffin pan with paper cupcake liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together dark brown sugar, flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add espresso powder to boiling water and stir to combine. Add the egg, vanilla, buttermilk and oil, and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour and sugar mixture to the egg and buttermilk mixture, and with a rubber spatula, fold gently to combine. Fill the muffin cups 2/3 of the way full and set aside.
- For the filling, beat together all of the filling ingredients on medium speed until almost smooth, with a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Scrape down the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Put a rounded tablespoon of filling in the center of each filled cup. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the side of the cupcake comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature before serving.