Corn Dog Casserole
Making corn dogs at home isn't an easy task, and making them without a deep fryer is all but impossible. Even frozen corn dogs that you can bake at home are fried before freezing, so I really like that this recipe gets around the need for frying by baking the hotdogs directly in a moist and sweet cornbread! - Tara
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 (8.5-ounce) boxes corn muffin mix
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6-8 hot dogs or turkey franks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 slices American cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place butter in a 2-quart temp-tations® baking dish and microwave for 15-20 seconds, just until melted. Shake dish from side to side to coat bottom and sides with the melted butter.
- Place the muffin mix, eggs, and milk into a large temp-tations® mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into the greased 2-quart baking dish, and then place whole hot dogs in rows over the top, about 3/4-inch apart. To extend each row to about 1/2-inch from the edge of the dish on either side, you will most likely need to cut 2 of the hotdogs into smaller pieces to add in.
- Place 4 slices of American cheese evenly over the hotdogs,and then cover all with the remaining 2/3 of the batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top has browned well and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with ketchup or mustard, as you would eat an ordinary corn dog.