Cozy Chicken Casserole
This recipe makes wonderful use of kitchen staples and is very easy to prepare. A family favorite that's a meal in itself, it's also great served with crusty bread and a tossed salad.
- 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the pasta for 2 minutes less than the package directions. Drain and transfer to a 2- or 2.5-quart temp-tations® dish.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the chopped chicken and sauté until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the flour into the milk and add to the skillet along with the chicken bouillon cube and white pepper. Stir until the bouillon cube is melted and sauce is bubbling and thick.
- Stir in broccoli florets, shredded carrots and half of the cheddar cheese. Pour mixture over pasta in the dish and lightly stir to combine.
- Top casserole with the remaining half of the cheddar cheese, and bake just until casserole is bubbly hot and cheese is beginning to brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.