Roasted Eggplant and Feta Spread
This Mediterranean eggplant spread is an unusual mix of ingredients that blend together in the most delicious way! A great dish for entertaining because you can make it up to two days ahead and serve chilled (though it's also good warmed in the microwave). Serve with pita chips, warm pita bread, sliced veggies, or crackers. - Tara
- 3 medium eggplants, quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the eggplant quarters in a 4-quart temp-tations® baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake until eggplant is soft, about 1 hour.
- Place olive oil in a small skillet over medium to medium-high heat and lightly brown the walnuts and garlic, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool until preparing the spread.
- Refrigerate eggplant 30 minutes, or until cooled. Use a pointed spoon to scoop out the soft eggplant meat, discarding the skin. Transfer eggplant meat to colander and drain excess liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Place eggplant meat, cooked walnut mixture, and all remaining ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until the mixture is chunky but holds together. Transfer to a 2.5 quart or larger temp-tations® bowl or dish to serve.