Southwestern Mac ‘n Cheese
Sometimes you want Mac ‘n Cheese with a twist – something with a little kick, a couple of veggies, and some protein thrown in for good measure. In other words, something that will be a meal unto itself! Well, this Southwestern Mac ‘n Cheese fits the bill and is an altered version of my White Cheddar Mac and Cheese.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces extra sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, regular or low fat
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni, undercooked by 2 minutes and drained
- 1 package pre-cooked southwestern seasoned chicken breast strips, chopped (sold near the lunch meats)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add butter and flour to a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until a simmering paste is formed. Simmer, stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes, until the paste turns slightly more golden in color.
- Add Dijon mustard, milk and salt, and whisk constantly, until combined and simmering. Once simmering, lower the heat to medium-low. Whisk in 2/3 of the white Cheddar cheese and all of the cream cheese, a little at a time until combined. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked pasta, chopped chicken, corn kernels and chopped Roma tomatoes to a 2.5- or 3-quart temp-tations® baking dish, cover with the finished cheese sauce and mix well. (Or you can pour individual servings in temp-tations® mini pie dishes!) Top with the remaining 1/3 of the white Cheddar cheese, and then sprinkle crumbled tortilla chips over all.
- Bake uncovered 15-20 minutes until cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.