Tara’s Individual Meat Loaves
This is a "Where have you been all my life?" recipe. A friend has a very picky eater for a son. When she involved him in preparing their meals, he not only cleaned his plate but also constantly wanted to repeat his performance for his friends! These adorable individual meat loaves can be prepared ahead of time and frozen...just minutes to the table. Who doesn't love meat loaf? - Tara
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 slices bacon, stacked and cut into thirds
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs, from 2 slices of bread
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons drained horseradish, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a temp-tations® muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a 10-inch skillet over medium high, heat oil. Cook bacon pieces until browned and crisp, turning once, 5 to 8 minutes. With tongs, remove bacon to paper towel to drain, reserve pan. Return skillet to medium-high, add onion, and cook 5 minutes. Then add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool onion mixture.
- In bowl, combine beef, bread crumbs, salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and onion mixture. In a small bowl, whisk egg, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes with juice and 2 tablespoons horseradish; stir into beef mixture. Evenly divide beef mixture and press into the 6 muffin cups.
- Bake until meat thermometer inserted in center of meatloaves registers 160 degrees, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over high heat, combine remaining diced tomatoes, 2 teaspoons horseradish, and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 2 minutes.
- Turn out meat loaves and place one on each plate. Spoon some tomato sauce on top of each meatloaf. Garnish each with 2 pieces of bacon.